Named after the innermost Galilean moon of Jupiter Io, Io-1 is the first in a series of interplanetary capes planned for the Beaglebone, Beaglebone Black, and Raspberry Pi.
Designed for those who plan to change the world, and possibly the universe, the Io-1 LPT cape provides a way to connect 5 volt external hardware over a standard 25 pin D-SUB connector.
The cape is fully compatible with Linux LPT driver allowing standard printers and scanners to be used. It can work with x86 software for accessing parallel port directly with minor modifications, allow bitbanging, and even LinuxCNC (Previously EMC2). This allows the Io-1 to run on Beaglebone with the similar timing as PC platforms. The Io-1 is designed for hobbyists, industry, and developers to integrate the very powerful Beaglebone and Beaglebone black’s small footprint into their robotics, automation, and CNC project.
1. DIY print server with cups and samba.
2. Robotics and automation – Run Steppers, servos, switches with LinuxCNC.
3. CNC Machines through LinuxCNC
- Precision - Better timing than GPIO access.
- Elegance - Io-1 only uses 12 of the Beaglebone GPIO pins
- Size - Beaglebone is much smaller than a x86 SBC.
- Energy Savings - Very low power consumption.
- Function - True +5 volt I/O
- Compatibility - Standard DB-25 Pinout, so old project guides can be easily adapted to Io-1 cape on Beaglebone.
Karltech plans to offer free software, API’s, and support to the developer and hobbyist community.